Spiced Carrot Soup
This Spiced Carrot Soup just became your go-to orange soup recipe. Seasoned with coriander, cumin and curry powder, this soup has all of those smokey, salty, earthy flavors, which we know to be so comforting in the winter months. This Spiced Carrot Soup is pureed with coconut milk and sweet potato, resulting in a velvety-smooth bowl of Vitamin A richness. Enjoy with croutons or toasted nuts.
Spiced Carrot Soup
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 cloves garlic, halved
- Smoked sea salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 14 medium/large carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 3 teaspoons curry powder, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- High heat oil, such as avocado oil or safflower oil, for sautéing
- 75 grams ginger root, minced (This is about the size of the palm of your hand. You can also add ginger to taste.)
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth
- One 13 1/2-ounce can light coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place onion and garlic on one baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle on smoked salt and pepper. Massage seasoning into vegetables using your hands or the back of a spoon. Arrange vegetables in a single layer. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until softer but not charred.
- Place carrots and sweet potato on the other baking sheet. Add 4 tablespoons oil, smoked salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon coriander and 1/2 teaspoon cumin to vegetables. Massage seasoning into vegetables using your hands or the back of a spoon. Arrange vegetables in a single layer. Bake with onions and garlic for 30-35 minutes, until softer but not charred.
- While vegetables are cooking, heat oil in a large soup pot. Add ginger. Sauté until fragrant (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add roasted vegetables to pot. Stir. Add 2 teaspoons additional curry powder and 1 teaspoon additional coriander. Stir until even. Allow flavors to cook together over medium-low heat for several minutes.
- Pour in vegetable broth. Stir. Bring contents to a boil. Lower to a simmer, and allow contents to cook for about 20 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat. Leaving lid of pot slightly ajar, cool soup for about 15 minutes. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Once soup is mostly homogenous, pour in coconut milk. Continue puréeing until soup is even and no chunks of vegetables remain. Serve with croutons or toasted nuts.
If you enjoyed this post, be sure to subscribe to The Artsy Palate so that you can stay up to date with my latest recipes and nutrition tips! Subscribe by entering your email address below. As always, feel free to contact me with any questions or comments! Follow The Artsy Palate (@theartsypalate) on Instagram for more! <3